Thursday, November 1, 2012

Distractions

I've said before that I have ADGD: Attention Deficit Google Disorder. It seems like every time I sit down at the computer to do pretty much anything, my mind suddenly thinks up 10 or 20 other things I need to google RIGHT THEN—approximately one per minute—and none of them relating to what I sat down to do.

Distractions, when writing, are a given. And google's only one of them. Here's what I have to do to stay focused:

1. Makes rules for myself. When I sit down to write, I have to mentally tell myself email and facebook are not allowed. Otherwise, if left to my own unruly devices, I will be emailing my great-aunt, thinking I have good reason, before you can say chapter 1. And my brain will always justify getting distracted, so I have to stay on top of it. I don't always keep the rules, and I allow myself some messing around once in a while, but if I want to get anything done, this is sometimes what I have to do.

2. Treat myself. Making rules also may or may not involve rewarding myself if I keep said rules. Sometimes I say to myself, "I'll write for the next hour, and then I can watch the next episode of _______." Or "After I finish this scene, I will look up new recipes for a dessert I have to make." I can focus more if there's an end in mind and a reward, no matter how pitiful.

(Also, is it weird that the brain that justifies any distraction is the same brain that makes the rules and gives the rewards? Does this make me totally insane? Possibly. Or maybe it's just called self-control. Who's to say?)

3. Take notes. I set a notepad by me wherever I'm writing so that when my brain will think of anything and everything but writing and come up with a bunch of things I just HAVE to do right then, I write them down so I don't forget. But then I wait until later to do them. This notepad habit also works for getting writing ideas when I'm not at my computer. I have two notebooks in my purse, several random notes on my phone, and post-it notes coming out my ears.

Do you make rules for yourself about stuff? Please say yes so I don't feel like a total nut bag.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, but I'm not good at keeping the rules. I do take notes, though. I surround myself with lists of things to do and thought organization in notebooks, on white boards, on the back of old receipts... whatever is close at hand.

    ReplyDelete