Thursday, February 14, 2013

Literary paradigm shifts

Now that I begin to type this post, I realize the title may be a bit misleading. There's really nothing too drastic I'm going to discuss here, but it sure sounds exciting, doesn't it? Anyway, I've recently been thinking about a few times when I saw film versions of books I had read, or vice versa, and realized I was pronouncing or imagining how words were spelled totally incorrectly. (And, interestingly, all of my examples are British. Maybe it's just an accent thing.)

We all remember Hermione from Harry Potter, don't we? I'm pretty sure I read the first few books pronouncing her name like "Her-mee-un," which was my own interpretation. Even after I read the book (Book 4? Book 5?) where it points out how to say it, it still took me a while to change over.

Then I read Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility a couple years ago, after having seen the movie numerous times. I thought one of the main characters' names was Edward Ferris because that's how they pronounced it in the movie. But when I read the book, I saw that his last name was Ferrars. I seriously read for a few chapters, trying to figure out where Edward Ferris had gone and who this Ferrars guy was.

And then I saw the recent production of Charles Dickens' Little Dorrit. (If you haven't seen it, watch it now. Do it.) It's about a man who is in a debtor's prison, which they called the "marshalcy." That's how I saw it in my head, anyway. Because, you know, marshals have to do with the law and policing and stuff. But when I read about the story (because I haven't actually read the book), I saw that the name of the prison was called The Marshalsea. It was a total paradigm shift, for me, realizing that it was a proper noun.

It's weird when this happens. These weren't earth shattering experiences, but they definitely changed my views about things in these stories that seemed pretty cemented in my head. Has anything similar happened to you?

2 comments:

  1. Here's a scriptural one. Whenever I read "death and hell" I always just thought it was a phrase to describe, well, death and hell. I don't know how I missed this for so many years, but I guess I glaze through 2nd Nephi whenever I read it. Well, last time I read 2nd Nephi 9, it explains that "death" is talking about death of the body (duh) and "hell" is talking about death of the spirit. So the phrase "death and hell" actually means two different things. That was an eye opening paradigm thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one! On a similar note, I've been reading about "endless" and "eternal" punishment and how the Lord finally has to explain that it means HIS punishment because he is endless and eternal and we should stop freaking out.

    ReplyDelete